Re: [NTLK] Wireless Card

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 20:08:53 EDT

knowtree@aloha.com wrote:
<snip>
Hiroshi's driver does not support SSID scanning, so you must know the
SSID and enter it yourself.
<snip>

Actually, that's not entirely correct. It does not support scanning but if
you leave the SSID empty in the setup it will connect to any Wireless
network that will allow it. Where you need to fill in the SSID is if you are
in a location where you can see more than one wireless network.

I don't have an SSID in my setup (I was fortunate enough to get my driver
registered before Hiroshi dropped out of sight.) This way I can seamlessly
connect to my home WIFI, work WIFI (at least the access point where WPA is
not set) and our local airport. I have also connected in many hotel lobbies,
but not in the rooms. It seems hotels will have open WIFI hotspots in their
lobby but make you log in in your room. You would think it would be the
other way around. If you are in a room it is pretty good chance you are a
guest. But anyone can walk into the lobby and plop down. Oh well, I deviate
from our topic.

Matt "Ducky" Howe
matthowe@comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mhowe41/