Re: [NTLK] Question about emate

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.net>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 11:28:00 EDT

On Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 4:04 pm Andy Hill wrote:
> I am considering purchasing an emate
> to accompany my MP2000, play around
> with etc. Could anyone tell me what the
> keyboard is like (is it stiff and clunky
> like my Newton keyboard or reasonably
> useable?).

I like it. I'm a touch typist and I can type close to 70WPM. Recently, I
used the eMate to transcribe a SciFi book into a Newton eBook. I've used it
sitting on the couch, on my lap, and I've used it on a table top. It has a
nice solid but quiet tactile feel. My only complaint would be how close the
function key row is to the normal keyboard. Specifically the backspace
key's proximity to the Power and Light buttons. I will hit them quite often
by accident.

> Secondly what would be a reasonable
> price to pay for one in working order.

It's' not hard to find one in good (physical) shape for about $30. However,
you will always have to repair the screen hinges immediately if you want to
have a functional eMate for more than a week or two. That could cost you
another $50 if you out source it or 6 hours of your undivided attention,
some afternoon, if it is your first time. I did my own and it was not that
difficult.

Next, you'll probably want to rebuild the battery. That'll be $15 plus
labor and shipping. You will want to buy the memory expansion, $30. A wifi
card, $20. Finally, you will want the ATA driver, a PCMCIA to Compact Flash
adapter, and a 256 MB Compact Flash storage card, $100. Optional
accessories: Bluetooth Pico Card, $30. Serial cable, $10. Ethernet, $15.

What was your question? Well, whatever it was, the answer is 42 and don't
forget your towel.

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"