Re: [NTLK] OT - Pay Attention when you run any Update

From: Peter Fraser <pjfraser_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 15:35:14 EDT

On Mar 18, 2007, at 12:08 PM, A@dotline7@gmail.com wrote:

> At some point I forget about update and asked
> Cocktail to restart, which resulted in spinning wheel... I am not
> good at Unix.
>
> Have a nice Sunday,
>
> John

Apple strives to make the update process as foolproof as possible.
If you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with things like
Cocktail, and in your case especially, the UNIX terminal.

When an OS update presents itself and you're ready to run the update,
do thee things:

1. quit all open apps
2. if running a laptop, plug it in to an AC adaptor
3. in energy saver control panel turn off all settings that would
allow the HD or machine to sleep
4. run Disc Utility (found inside the Utilities folder inside your
Appications folder)
5. select your boot drive and run "repair permissions" - do nothing
else in Disc Utility
6. when permission repair is complete, close Disc Utility, and run
the updater
7. after the updater has run, it will tell you to reboot. do so at
that time. don't use your mac for anything else before then. reboot.
8. first thing upon rebooting, repair permissions again. then run
the updater again to see whether there are further updates waiting
(sometimes they come in sequenced clumps).
9. if no more updates, resume your computing.

Cocktail is nice, and works well, but read its literature and
understand what you're doing before you do it - and whether you
really need to do so.

Don't mess with unix on your mac - they give you a nice gui and apps
to do everything you need to do. there's a very real reason few
people have root on unix boxes. unfortunately, apple has to give
root to each mac owner. doesn't mean they should use it...most of
them ought not to!!

-- Peter
pjfraser@mac.com