Re: [NTLK] OT - Beware 10.4.9 Update

From: David M. Ensteness <denstene_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 17:05:45 EDT

If the internal HDD is showing mechanical signs of failure (such as
clicking, note some are normal, others are bad) and no software such
as Disk Utility or Data Rescue II can see it (mounted or unmounted),
then it is not a software issue on the HDD and is thus unrelated to
what was described on Unsanity.org.

Browsing your System Log on the FW HDD may show some I/O errors
related to the internal HDD during the startup process as the boot
drive (FW HDD) attempts to speak with and mount the internal HDD. The
easiest way to search for I/O errors would be to open /Applications/
Utilities/Console/System Log and Filter for i/o. These would be
further signs of a mechanical failure. If software solutions such as
Data Rescue II are unable to communicate with the failed / failing
HDD then you may need to weigh the costs of data recovery
(www.ontrack.com, www.drivesavers.com, www.lazarus.com) against the
value of the data.

-DME