Re: [NTLK] A bit of a mystery

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 16:38:18 EDT

On 3/19/2007 4:18 PM, Steven Frank wrote:

> Until one day a few weeks ago, I guess the planets weren't aligned
> right or something... she tapped a relatively innocuous button, and
> the thing went into a reset loop and finally rebooted into a freshly-
> wiped, out-of-the-box state, asking her to re-calibrate her pen and
> tell her which city she lived in, etc. All data gone! Bye data!
>
> Fortunately everything was "backed up" by virtue of having been
> synced from iCal, but COME ON. A device where a piece of user-level
> application software with a bug can cause a hard factory reset? Well
> done, Palm. Good luck with that buyout. I'm sure they'll be lining up.

Ouch a wipe with no verification? That is hard to believe. At least
she still had a backup but still. The OS should have some kind of
safety so that can't happen. And by the sounds that may take them
another 10 years to figure out. :/ I just hope my Newt can last till
the PDA makers actually get a clue and start making something similar to
it. Though it continues to look rather grim......

-Dan