Re: [NTLK] Stuff It......why I now hate it

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 09:14:24 EDT

From: Morgan Aldridge

Also StuffIt! Expander is actually still available and free. Check
out http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html and look for the free
Expander (or go to the download page directly: http://www.stuffit.com/
mac/expander/download.html). Also, previous versions of all the
StuffIt! versions are available one Aladdin/Allume/SmithMicro's ftp
site ftp://ftp.allume.com/ (note they haven't gotten around to
changing that URL yet).

---
Handy to know, but I think it would be wise to move away from a closed
source standard like StuffIt.  Besides, it was always hell for me to
have a file that was STUFFED when I was trying to get around solely on
my Newton.  I can Unzip from my Newton, but StuffIt archives I would
always cuss because I knew from my dealings with the developers of
StuffIt that they would never release stuff for the Newton, nor would
they work with someone to develop that standard for the Newton.  So on
this basis alone I say retooling the archives would be worth it.