Re: [NTLK] English Newton with german HWR?

From: Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 07:18:12 EDT

Hi Matthias,

On 23/03/07, matthiasm <mm@matthiasm.com> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2007, at 8:35 AM, Christian Walther wrote:
>
> > AFAIK ugrading the Newt to a german firmware is impossible.
>
> There is a circuit board inside the Newton that holds the ROM with
> the OS and dictionary. Maybe someone on the list has a German ROM and
> wants to get a US one and you guys could swap. There is no software
> way of changing the OS around.

I'm quite confident with using an English OS, to be honest all my
systems are using english locales, because most of the times I can't
stand german translations. So it would be enough to have a german
dictionary on the Newton.
I found a link to a website dealing with creating foreign dictionaries
for an English Newton:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dicts_and_kits/?lg=en

So, if there is a newton owner out there with such a dictionary/kit,
please let me know. Otherwise I'll give the instructions a shot when I
win the auction.

Christian