Re: [NTLK] newton 120 online somehow?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 09:40:06 EDT

On 3/25/2007 7:15 AM, Joe wrote:
> Eric Silverman wrote:
>
>> i know a newton 120 cant use wifi (damn!) but is there anyway i can
>> get it online?
>>

> A 120 can use a dial-up modem for nethopper and email. I did this years
> ago, though nethopper seemed to go to incorrect pages or some such.
>
> Haven't tried ethernet - might have a go later...

Well Wifi and ethernet requires 2.1 of NIE which only works on 2.1
systems. Also it depends on what version of the OS your 120 has. If it
has 1.3 you can't at all since even the older version of NIE won't run
on it. If it has OS 2.0 then it is possible but even if you freeze all
the packages except for NIE and your web browser or email client (simple
mail in this case would be best) you are going to get a lot of "Newton
does not have enough free memory to do what you ask......reset may fix
this problem....". So it is possible but I doubt you will want to do it
much due to these problems.

Also for Nethopper there are some extensions you can add so it will work
better with newer websites (they should be on UNNA). You can also try
Newtscape. That may work ok with only the basic package and a extension
or two you really need. But again due to the heap requirements of
getting online I doubt you will want to do it much.

-Dan