Re: [NTLK] OT: Sort-of Right Device

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 11:40:24 EDT

On 3/28/2007 11:23 AM, Grubic, James wrote:
>>> I'm still waiting for a PDA with a hard drive. I don't know why
>>> this so difficult to do.

Well it is due to power requirements more than anything else. To have a
PDA that does what you want would require a large battery like a laptop,
which would increase the size and weight. And at that point you might
as well use a laptop. I think part of the reason the ipod "gets away"
with this is because it is optimized just for this reading most of the
file to memory and only using the hard drive when absolutely needed.
Perhaps you could do this with a PDA but then because you would be
saving data and using it differently I am not sure this would work.
Most likely it would only have a hour or two of battery life, and for a
PDA this is really too short. It is one of the big problems of the
Q1...battery life.

-Dan