Re: [NTLK] Reading ebooks on a Newton?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 10:16:48 EDT

On 3/29/2007 12:42 AM, wolfgang.rumpf@mac.com wrote:
> My blackberry died and I'm now hoping to be able to read my eBooks on
> a Newton - can any advise me on (a) what app to use to create
> readable eBooks for a Newton (Mac OS X apps preferred), and (b) what
> I need to xfer to and read them on a Newton? Thanks in advance!
>
> Wolfgang
>
> Dr. Wolfgang Rumpf

Yes you can read ebooks on your Newton. There are three programs that
you can use to create ebooks for a Newton. But all of them require
classic I believe. The first one is Press, which is the easiest to use
to create "NewtonBooks" which is the normal ebook format for the Newton.
 It uses what you see is what you get format. The only downside is
inserting a table of contents (chapters etc) takes a little bit of time
because you can't do a search for chapter titles have to scroll through
the book to find them. Some people have had crash issues with Press but
there are usually ways around this. If you want to create a NewtonBook
fast and don't care for a table of contents this is the application to use.
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/NewtonPress/ForMac

The second way to create a Newton Book is with Bookmaker and Newton
Toolkit. This method is a bit different in that you take your source
text and add the bookmaker "markup language". Basically adding commands
such as
.title Mybook
on separate lines. Then running it though bookmaker which will create a
NewtonBook source file which then can be sent to NTK to create a package
you can install on your Newton. This method is actually faster to
create books with a table of contents (since you can use search in a
normal word processor) and I use this method the most. The only
downside is books made with Bookmaker use the "classic" screen size (the
1x0 series). Where as Press can create books in any screen format.
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/development/Bookmaker
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/development/NTK/macntk

The third option is using Paperback. It does not create the normal
NewtonBook, but instead creates its own format of ebook. Its advantages
are it can create a table of contents on the fly (though usually not
vary accurate unless you add your own tags in the original text) and it
can be used on any newton since it formats the screen on the fly. You
can also change the font size and type at any point. There is also a
tool to create a Paperback book that Victor made at:
http://misato.chuma.org/paperback/
But there are desktop versions as well on UNNA. With the desktop
versions you basically drag and drop the text file onto the Paperback
tool and in a minute you have a Paperback book. Or if you wish to
change the settings double click on it then change your settings and
select which text file you want made into a book. The disadvantages of
Paperback are it since it uses is own format for a ebook, it has to
install a "reader" as part of the package. Though thankfully this is
very small. The other disadvantage (and why I don't use this format) is
 a Paperback book does not have bookmarks. If you reset your newton you
will loose your place. Newton books can hold the position you were at
when you close the book and 6 other positions in the book. However you
can use search to look for a particular sentence in the book to get back
to where you were (if you remember it....you can cut and paste a
sentence before you close your book if you want so you can search for it
later if your spot is lost).
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/applications/Paperback

As for what to use to install your books, I suggest using Simon Bell's
NCX which runs on Mac OS X.
http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/
The other option is Newton Connection Utilities on UNNA but it only runs
in Classic.
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtilities

Basically if you don't mind the possibility of loosing your place and
want to stay out of classic then use the online version of Paperback
(and use NCX to install the packages). Otherwise it depends on if you
want to bother with a table of contents and use the full screen size on
your M2x00. If that is the case then try Press. If you don't care
about screen size and don't mind a little more of a learning curve then
give Bookmaker a try.

I also wrote a tutorial on making ebooks for the newton which is also on
UNNA. I also have a newer version in work and hope to have that
released soon.
http://www.unna.org/unna/windows/NewtonBookmaking101/bookmaking%20tutorial.txt

Oh I just remembered there is one more possibility. You can import a
text document into Newton Works using Newton Connection Utilities then
create a book with it via Newts Cape. This may take a while depending
on the size of the book. But this is only feasible if you have a
MP2x00. But it is another method of creating ebooks in NewtonBook
format. Also you need enough storage space for the book twice. Once in
Works and once in NewtonBook format. Of course you can just read them
in Works if you wish. Just tap somewhere on the page to place the caret
when you wish to close Works or switch documents and it shall return to
that same location next time.
http://saweyer.freehostia.com/newton/newtscape.htm

-Dan