Re: [NTLK] The UMPC dies.

From: Karel Jansens <karel.jansens_at_scarlet.be>
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 11:33:47 EDT

John Chu wrote:
> On May 3, 2007, at 10:46 PM, Richard Henderson wrote:
>
>> As a Tablet PC owner, I have to disagree whole-heartedly.
>> My Tablet PC, after enough training, recognizes my handwriting just
>> as well
>> as my 2100.
>
> I agree that HWR in WinXP Tablet is adequate, although I think the
> Newton user interface is more fluent and, for me, still possibly more
> accurate because of that. I'm just writing to point out there is no
> training the WinXP Tablet recognizer, except adding words to the
> dictionary. If it recognizes your handwriting better over time, it's
> because you've adapted to it. One of the new features for Vista is
> that its recognizer does learn based on your corrections. I don't
> know how well this works since my Tablet PC is too wimpy to consider
> Vista.

I use PenOffice on my tablets (yes, with an 's'; I'm a sad person, I am)
and it's just as good as ParaGraph on my MessagePads (again, no typo) --
but that's probably because it's essentially the same program.

I do agree 1000% that the Newton user interface is light-eons ahead of
Windows. PenOffice tries admirably to implement some of those features
in Windows, but the bolted-on feeling is always prominently there.

--
Karel Jansens