Re: [NTLK] Handwriting recognition benchmarking

From: Andrew Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 03:21:01 EDT

Hi William and anyone else willing to do the handwriting experiment.
Having had three list members attempt the challenge so far and given a
bit of feedback I would like to clarify the following:

You should copy the text exactly including punctuation marks and numbers
and paragraph marks etc. I attempted to choose text that included a
range of letters, a range of combination of letters and a mix of symbols
and other features.

Don't correct as you go, get to the end and then count the errors.

It doesn't matter if you practise and you submit your best time or
accuracy as opposed to an initial go.

Unna has a very useful little timer which will float above your Note as
you write.

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/alarms-clocks-timers/Timer2.0

Here's the test text again

------

The Apple Newton&#8217;s handwriting recognition system is so good that
these 3 paragraphs of text can be written and digitized in about 195
seconds.

Achieving this speed as well as being accurate does take a little
practise and a set up on your Newt that&#8217;s right for you. However
once you get in the swing of it you&#8217;ll be able to write quickly
and precisely and make the very best of this brilliant and thoroughly
useful device.

Now considering this technology is more than 10 years old that&#8217;s
quite amazing!

-----

Here are the instruction again:

1] Time yourself in seconds or minutes and seconds handwriting the test
passage on your Newt in an ordinary Note
2] Email me off list the following info:
2.1] Your name or an ID
2.2] The model of Newton used
2.3] How long it took you in seconds to handwrite the text
2.4] The number of errors of any kind within your text

Ps: I appreciate at this stage this isn't exactly scientific but do give
it a go. It might evolve into something useful.
pps: 195 seconds is actually very difficult to achieve. As we say here
you have to go like the clappers.

Thanks
Andy