Re: [NTLK] Anyone have a review of the Speed Boost Implant?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 17:41:15 EDT

I too was driven from the implant route by the cost. Because of this, I followed on the heels of a former Newtontalk member and using her idea and hints from Dr Newton, fashioned my own "implant". If you can find the 5mHz xtal, and have soldering skills, this is a relativly easy upgrade that brings your newt from 167mHz to about 216mHz, a 22% speed increase.(you can see that my particular newt was faster than this at over 218mHz: http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/img0011.htm)
  You can visit my site for step by step instructions on how I did this at: http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed

  I also have the newton speed test application on my download site.
  You can see the packages available for download here:
  http://newton.tek-ed.com/
  It's called implant1.pkg and it's in the second column, 7 rows down.

  Gotchas on the speed upgrade?
  Well, if you use speach, expect alvin and the chipmunks..but you can play around with the speach preferences and get a moderatly normal sounding voice out of it...
  Other things? Serial communications will no longer work and beaming will not work with non accelerated Newts. Additionally, if you use a keyboard, you will no longer be able to use the keyboard until you upgrade the xtal on that as well. But since I don't mess with any of those things (keyboard on a newt...yeah right...that's funny) and my Newt is autonomous, I revel in the speed increase and live a happy go lucky existance.

  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Dean Johnson <djohnson16@sc.rr.com> wrote:
  I have one (came with the modded 2100 I bought from him) and a stock 2100
from J&K. The boosted one seems noticeably faster, though I have done no
actual timing tests, and yes; there is a switch present to turn boost off.

Dean Johnson
Sumter SC