[NTLK] Strange freeze with ATA drivers...

From: Huxley Dunsany <huckdunsany_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 10:48:34 EDT

Hi again, everyone!
Just yesterday, I bought the ATA drivers for my Newton 2100, but I'm
running into an odd crash/freeze when installing packages, and I
thought maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.
I've already contacted Paul (the author of the ATA drivers), but I
figured it can't hurt to get ideas from everyone! :-)

I'm using a SanDisk 512 meg CF card (formatted into two 256m
partitions), and I keep getting total system freezes when I'm
installing packages onto the CF card. I'm able to successfully
install 1 or 2 at a time, but it seems that if I try to install more
than that (I'm mostly trying to sync a folder of Newton books to the
CF card), the system will freeze after getting through 3 or 4 of the
files. The freeze always seems to occur when the "Dock progress bar"
is at the very end of the operation, and the freeze is pretty
complete - even pressing the reset button doesn't do anything, and I
have to remove the battery pack to reboot the machine. Also, the
freeze doesn't seem to related to any one specific file - I've tried
different combinations of packages and the same thing seems to happen
pretty consistently. Also, when I do reboot the system (by removing
the batteries), upon restart I get a message from the ATA driver
saying that, due to journalizing, no data was lost.

I'm wondering if there are any tips you might be able to send my way
- perhaps I should partition the card into 4 128meg sections, or
change the cache settings?

Thanks in advance,

Huxley

---