Re: [NTLK] Museum torrent requests -- What's the point?

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 20:45:46 EDT

I'm with William on this one. I have seen Newton sites, that I have book marked, disappear into 404 and server not found land. And I think, "Man I wish I had saved a copy of that." Particularly knowledge. I am thinking of taking a copy of the Emate hinge repair and other tech sites just in case the owners of those sites get into iPhones or PepperPads. It happens, people change and move on. I can even see my self moving to a different platform some day and all that I've archived will need to be taken over by someone else. The Newton Museum archive came about because the owner was gracious enough to make copies before he left the Newton world. So my take is that I don't need to own a copy of everything. I am just acting as another off-site back up. Although I am forever going through my repository looking for gems I missed before. Recently I had a need for time management software that I never needed before and am now using Iambic's Time Reporter. And just this week I discovered Back Drop Builder. Both are pie
ces of software no longer supported or offered by the original source. So if you need something, by all means, search and support UNNA. But if you can't find it, post a message to the board and we that have off-site repositories will check our stash.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mhowe41/

William Pociengel wrote:
<snip>
How about redundancy? if there is ONE copy and it's lost then game over.
If there are 80 copies then it continues on. I have seen companies
disappear when their one and only server went poof. Yes bad business
decision to have only a single copy. So what makes UNNA any different?
Oh yea UNNA is not a business, per se.
<snip>