Re: [NTLK] OT - Any Amiga Users here?

From: James Grubic <jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 11:54:21 EDT

Ah, yes. I have owned an Amiga 500, 500+, 2000, 3000, 1200, 600...

I still have a PAL Amiga 600 sitting around with a newer hard drive in it.

It's easy to see tho why I switched to Mac. The PAL/NTSC screen modes
were such a pain, especially for games. When you are on a Mac or a PC,
you never worry about screen refresh rates...you just plug it in and go.
The Amiga did not handle the transition well from hooking up to TV (as
computers used to require) and high resolution monitors. You either
needed two monitors, or a multisync monitor. Hassle.

Amiga software also relied on floppy disks, and they countered the
rampant piracy on the C64 platform by making disks (almost) unbreakable
on the Amiga. It was difficult to find games that actually could be
installed on the hard drive. Floppy disks are not cartridges and this
was an issue.

One program I absolutely loved on Amiga...the painting program
Brilliance. I was using it as late as 1996 and did my first web page
graphics with it. Anyone use anything even remotely comparable now?

The old Richmond, VA users group I was in ages ago had close ties to the
company that made ImageFX, which was an enjoyable experience.

BTW they should rename this the "NostalgiaTalk List" :)

James