[NTLK] Another NewtNewb

From: W. Guy Finley <wgfinley_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 10:57:16 EDT

Hello everyone, I'm a new Newton newbie and just wanted to share my
experiences and ask a question.

I'm a long time gadget geek but must admit I knew little or nothing
about the Newton and can't even remember how I came across it. I was
a former Handspring aficionado before Palm took them back but I
always found the Plam OS to be a bit lacking in the areas it needed
to be useful so I had long ago abandoned my Prism for my RAZR's
calendar.

I have been on the school board for a few years but a couple of weeks
ago I was elected president of the board and the number of names and
numbers and meetings I now have has risen dramatically, much more
than the poor RAZR can keep up with. The iPhone is a month off (with
a cell carrier other than mine), my Prism fell out of a box and got
run over in the garage so I started looking at Newtons. After much
searching and deliberation (and wondering if I should just cave and
buy a Palm for $100) I got mine from a very reputable dealer (I only
withhold the name because I'm not sure of list policy on that) who's
condition ratings are very conservative since it was in much better
condition that I expected.

I was able to figure out the task of connecting and syncing to iCal
and Address Book on my MacBook Pro, I used:

Keyspan USA-19HS USB to DB-9 serial adapter
Serial cable with the integrated dongle
NewtSync

All of that and I am now in business. I found that I needed to
settle on one calendar category and get my address categories
situated (something I had been putting off) but once that was squared
away on the Mac end NewtSync happily transfered all that stuff over.
So, it can be done even this late in the game. I'm thrilled with my
2100.

So on to my question, after reading some of the links here I came
across Silverware's MoreInfo and I have to tell you, it has floored
me. I've never had a PIM that can function so intuitively. I picked
up the demo for PowerNames as well and I'm happily enjoying my demo
period.

Something that took me a bit aback was Silverware is charging around
$90 to register MoreInfo still it appears. Now I don't have a
problem with paying that but I have to tell you, paying that kind of
scratch for a program written on an abandoned platform is giving me
some pause. Are there folks here who have needed support from them
and know they're still on top of it? Any MI comments or suggestions
in general?

That's the main issue I have, knowing that if I pay that much to
register that I'm still going to get help if I need it with the
product. Thanks and sorry for the long intro!!

--Guy