Re: [NTLK] german notephone problem

From: William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 10:34:56 EDT

Here have a short (hahaha) view of teleco signaling as I remember what I
understand. It's been awhile since I worked in the teleco industry and
I'm just plain old and forgetful ;-) (this is all from a US system
perspective but I believe it is correct for you also)

I do not believe it is a wiring issue, though it maybe if you are using
a poor connection to ground. IN the US the lines are identified as TIP &
RING to match the old style plugs that were used by operators to
complete a call. RING is your signal return and if you are using a line
that is crossed then you may have the wrong RING connected. IF your
phone works then this is not a likely scenario. BUT it is possible as
most handsets are durable enough to use almost any signal and still have
it work.

The US phone system (and I believe most every other one on the planet)
was designed to be pretty immune to anything but gross failure. In other
words if it works a little then it works completely. OK having said that
you need to remember that this was all designed before electronics (I
don't care if it's handled by electronics NOW all of the signaling was
designed BEFORE and the electronics still use the SAME signaling to your
house).

Newer electronics make some assumptions that can cause issues in some
places. try calling the phone company and telling them your phone line
doesn't work with your modem. the first thing they'll ask is if this is
the line you are having trouble with. the second thing will be that they
can hear you fine, can you hear them? If so then your phone works, it's
that simple but electronics designers cut corners to save money so
electronics devices don't alway properly mimic the design criteria for a
'standard' handset.

I noticed (and this may NOT apply to you) that when I was working in
Germany that the phone signals were significantly different from the US.
It may be possible that your device still thinks it's on line and that
the call hasn't ended because it is not getting the EXPECTED signal from
the phone system.

I first noticed the difference when my devices failed to initiate a call
as they never received what they wanted for a 'proper' signal from the
phone line. Is it possible that your device is failing to go back on
hook (hangup) because it is unable to properly terminate the call?

You must have something right if you are able to place a call from your
device. I wonder what the phone line signal looks like? Maybe your
device is unable to drag the line low enough to signal a disconnect???
Someone with access to some basic test equipment could tell you this
(voltmeter and maybe an oscilloscope)

Here is a very short, simple explaination for phone equipment:

When a phone is on hook (offline) it should look as if the line is open
(or a high impedance, to differentiate between an on hook condition and
a broken circuit).

When you pick up the handset then there should be some sort of load
placed across the phone line (lower impedance). This should signal to
the teleco equipment that a device is on line and to wait for whatever
dialing signals to begin. (I believe a timer also starts so that if the
dialing is not begun or completed in a certain amount of time it will
send a signal causing the phone to beep. such as if the phone were
knocked off the cradle)

When a phone goes back on hook (call is ended) then the device load
should go away which will signal the teleco equipment to disconnect the
line. At this point the teleco equipment should be waiting for the
device to go back off hook for the next call. This would seem to be
???broken??? in some manner on your device (probably by design tho not
intentional).

Or all of the above is just the ranting of a mentally unstable
individual, YMMV ;-)'

william

--
Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too
far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.