Re: [NTLK] New Palm Device (flop?)

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Thu May 31 2007 - 00:44:51 EDT

On May 31, 2007, at 5:12 AM, Scott Rogers wrote:

> You know, I saw that this evening and my first thought was "I don't
> get it." It's a laptop that's not a laptop.

I think it is much funnier (and more useful) than that. Anyone
remember the Microsoft attempt at this? Bonsai, or UMPC (Ultra Mobile
PC), was originally aimed at being smaller than a laptop, feeling
like a good PC, and costing less than $499.

Then the first devices came out and yes, they were small, but thick
like bricks, and they were not $500, but $1800 and more, generating
an instant failure.

I think that the analysts are right: there is a market for sub-sub-
notebooks, and if it is only a gadget for those who have a 17" laptop
and a mobile phone with 2GB of RAM, but $500 is certainly a barrier
that should not be crossed. Th Foleo seems to hit this spot exactly.
The only thing I can not judge yet is the OS, software, and
expandability. Heck, It doesn't even say if this thing has a touch
screen or a VGA port.

Personally, I would unscrew the keyboard, use it as a slate and put
NetonOS on it ;-)

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/