Re: [NTLK] Greetings from a R. V. Winkle and a Request for Assistance (connection-related)

From: Steven Paiano <spaiano_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 09:24:47 EST

Dear John,
Thanks for the quick response and the help!

Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote: On 11/6/07, Steven Paiano wrote:
> Recently, the on/off switch stopped working, I managed to get it working, and it now leads a forlorn existence on a respirator/AC adapter at home. I purchased a 2000 -> 2100 upgrade unit from eBay and it seems fine. I would like to back up my first love, do a soft brain transplant (my very own Duncan Idaho!) into the newer unit, then send the "older" unit off to be repaired.

Rather than backing up to your computer, I recommend getting yourself
a memory card, and backing up to that. I'm sure somebody on this list
has one they would sell you. You only need a 4 meg card for backups,
but if you get a bigger one, you can also store packages and data on
it. This is what I would recommend over a computer backup--in fact,
get two cards, a 4 meg just for backups, and a larger one, and back up
onto both. That is _exactly_ what I do. I have a 4 meg onto which I
backup regularly, and a larger 32 meg which contains both packages and
a secondary backup.

The unit I bought from eBay recently came with an 8 MB card that has a lot of packages on it. Shame to lose them yet I'm quite willing to do so in order to back my Baby up to it.

I have no idea how to use it properly.

Should I wipe the machine to the ground, then do the same for the card, then stick the card in the original machine, back up to it then stick it in the newer machine?

The newer one bleats piteously when the card is taken out that one of the apps needs the card to be inside and refuses to do anything until it is reinserted.

What do you recommend?

Sincerely,

Steven Paiano

267-939-4001