Re: [NTLK] Bookmaker for osx

From: Alan Balas <gomphos_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 08:43:10 EST

I found this on Wikipedia (emphasis added):
Newton eBook

Published as an ."pkg" and more commonly known as an Apple Newton
book; a single Newton package file can contain multiple books (for
example, the three books of a trilogy might be packaged together).
All systems running the Newton operating system (the most common
include the Newton MessagePads, eMates, Siemens Secretary Stations,
Motorola Marcos, Digital Ocean Seahorses and Tarpons) have built-in
support for viewing Newton books. The Newton package format was
released to the public by Newton, Inc. prior to that company's
absorption into Apple Computer. The format is thus arguably open and
various people have written readers for it (writing a Newton book
converter has even been assigned as a university-level class
project[1]).
Newton books have no support for DRM or encryption. They do support
internal links, potentially multiple tables of contents and indexes,
embedded grayscale images, and even some scripting capability (for
example, it's possible to make a book in which the reader can
influence the outcome).[2]
Newton books utilize Unicode and are thus available in numerous
languages.
An individual Newton book may actually contain multiple views
representing the same content in different ways (such as for different
screen resolutions).