Re: [NTLK] Newton and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: all seems fine

From: Riccardo Mori <rick_at_poc.it>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 20:05:23 EST

James Wages:

> Please try backup! I have no problems connecting via NCX to install
> packages and small items, but backup always gave me disconnects. It
> would
> appear that my Keyspan is at fault here, but it would be good for
> Simon to
> gather information from other NCX users about their experiences
> backing up
> many megabytes of data (both over Ethernet and serial).

Okay, I did a full backup of both the contents of the Internal store
and the 20 MB Flash card I have in my MP2100. A rough total of 9 MB.
The operation completed successfully. I'm using a Megahertz 589E
Ethernet card to connect to my PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.5. [The
hardware info is added here to Simon Bell's benefit].

I have a little tip for those who are trying to connect via Ethernet.
The connection can be fragile and intermittent. What I'm doing to
avoid surprises every time is to keep the Network preference pane
open, so I can check if there's connection on the Ethernet port. Very
probably one needs to reboot the Newton between connections,
especially when everything looks okay in the setup but the Newton
cannot see the Mac in the "Select a server" dialog box. When that
happens and you reboot the Newton, disconnect the Ethernet cable from
the Ethernet card on the Newton _before_ rebooting. When the reboot
process is complete, connect the cable again and try connecting again.
This time it should work.

Another thing: I have successfully connected the Newton via Ethernet
using either "Use ZeroConf" or "Manual setting" in the Dock TCP/IP
Preferences pane. If you can't connect to the Mac but the Dock
application (in the Newton) doesn't return any error when closing the
connection, you might try switching to "Manual setting" and reconnect
-- it's always worked for me so far.

Sorry if for someone I'm stating the obvious, but I wanted to share
the small inconveniences I've encountered during the connection
process and the workarounds I tried. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rick