Re: [NTLK] Newton and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: all seems fine

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 10:40:00 EST

James,

> Please try backup! I have no problems connecting via NCX to install
> packages and small items, but backup always gave me disconnects.

The Keyspan is probably not the problem.

Before I do a backup on my G4 PB with Tiger, I soft reboot the Newt
and make sure that the PB is not busy with any other kind of I/O and
is not running other applications that steal CPU cycles (retreiving
mail etc.). It will then transfer data from the three stores via NCX
successfully. It's not absolutely 100% but pretty good.

The issue seems to be that the handshaking of the serial data is
touchy with respect to timing and a busy machine will create a small
delay that breaks the connection.

Other NCX functions seem far less sensitive, probably because the
connection times are so much shorter.

I have now pretty much moved to backing up to another card with SBM
Utilities which is faster, more reliable and more convenient. Get a
20MB card or two and perform multiple backups to those.

Joel.