Re: [NTLK] Newton, education and emancipation

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 06:13:33 EST

On 11/14/07, Marcus Hammerschmitt <Marcus.Hammerschmitt@t-online.de> wrote:
> At 11:40 14.11.2007, you wrote:
>
> >(...) these devices contributed to
> >the delivery of mobile education amongst Gypsies (a contested term I
> >know, but one I use positively) in the UK's Traveller Education
> >Services during the halcyon days of Newton, and thus to the
> >beginnings of emancipation and social equality.
>
> Good work! hanks for this inspiring insight,

Agreed. Fascinating use of the Newton! I remember back in the day
(when NOS 2.0 came out and the 130 was brand new), I used to help a
local magnet school with their Newtons. It was a "tech" elementary
school, but the poor teachers were untrained in the use of some of the
tech. I volunteered to help teach the teachers how to use their
Newtons. It was fun, but we struggled with how to get these into the
hands of the kids, as, at the time, there was a dearth of software
options. (This was the day before eMates). I had left the country by
the time the eMates came out, so I never heard if they ever got to use
these. I still am tempted to get my younger kids eMates to learn with,
but wonder about software--what's available nowadays?

Anybody have any idea? Could we compile a list? Maybe it's worth the
effort to gather it? I suppose I could do the putting together if
necessary...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland