Re: [NTLK] Newton, education and emancipation

From: Gary Dunn <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 20:03:01 EST

> From: "Jon Glass" <jonglass@usa.net>

> On 11/14/07, L.W. Brown <lwb@mac.com> wrote:
>> There have been several discussions of this over the last few of years
>> - I bet trolling the archives would be a good start. Someone even
>> discussed writing some new progs, but I don't know/whether how it
>> turned out...
>
> Yes, but always in a general sense, that I've remembered. Besides
> that, what is available today is the most important. Some cool stuff
> has disappeared through the years. Also, I wonder if it's worth
> considering software for teachers?
>
> Is anybody here still using Newtons in the classroom?

For years I have been advocating Newton-like computers in the classroom. I backed off when Microsoft introduced Tablet edition but seeing its total failure I have decided to restart the Open Slate Project. I think you will be interested in Chalk Dusk, the software and content side of the project.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
knowtree@aloha.com