Re: [NTLK] PDA vs slate

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sun Nov 18 2007 - 12:17:42 EST

On Nov 16, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Stephan Weber wrote:

> But there are a lot of drawbacks, and there were several cruel design
> flaws with the 1400. Matthias -- I tried one of the newer small
> tablets from MC -- but they are so HOT. I mean as in burning you!

Yeah, they can get hot. The temperature is of course related to the
workload, which also has a tremendous impact on battery life as well.
I did get an extend battery, but this is all nothing compared to the
little energy that Newton uses.

> In fact, that's one of the crappy compromises of a slate, enough
> processing jazz to run windows badly and you still get burnt or the
> insides start to fail because it's so dang hot in there.

As I said, XP was never made nor optimized for slates. The newest
models now come with Vista preinstalled, which takes even more
resources. As a result, the slate gets even hotter and lives even
shorter (battery wise as well as in total). All late users I know
(few, admittedly) downgraded to XP.

> In
> the meantime I'll take my Newts along with a small laptop and be
> pretty happy.

That would be a big laptop for me, but yes, agreed ;-)

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/