Re: [NTLK] Goodbye

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 05:46:39 EST

On Nov 28, 2007 11:16 AM, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:59 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
> >
> >> I suppose that, were I to admit it, I hardly use my Newton any more.
> >> It makes a good note-taking platform, ...
> >

> Interesting juxtaposition of points -- "gathering dust", "hardly use my
> Newton any more", over against "It makes a good note-taking platform".

Actually, it makes sense if you add in, "but I don't need to take many
notes any more." Actually, I do still take the odd note, but my needs
are more specific, in that my Tungsten has a couple apps I could not
live without--Polish-English dictionary(makes a great thesaurus) and
my Bible software--neither of which exist on the Newton, like I have
on my Palm. In fact, the two specific bits of software I rely upon
have no equivalent on _any_ other platform. Sure, there are similar
apps, but some specific functionality (the thesaurus feature, and some
specific modules) just don't work the same on other platforms. At
first, I carried both my Newton and my Palm, but I also carry my
phone. I looked like that dork on Night at the Museum. ;-) I've forced
myself to use my Palm's memo pad. The one advantage is that I can
write in Polish on my Palm, and sync it to my Mac. Can't do either
with my Newton.

So, my Newton sits at my side at my desk, and gets called into action
as a recall device (a dozen years' worth of notes on it!), and a
notepad, and fancy calculator/spreadsheet. It still gets almost daily
use, but doesn't go out and about like it used to. I firmly believe
that, had the Newton not been killed, I would be able to do everything
I don on my Palm on my Newton. Sigh.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland