Re: [NTLK] Pepper Linux OS and the Einstein project

From: Joshua Cearley <joshua.cearley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 03:21:57 EDT

I don't own a Pepperpad or an N770/N800/N830, but I've looked at them
both quite a bit. To my knowledge, the pepper pad has a faster
processor than the web tablets and also has a couple more media center
extensions (like TV out, an IR setup to use as a TV remote) and it
also has a split keyboard so you can type with your thumbs while
holding the device and looking down at the screen. The nokia web
tablets [to my knowledge] have a slower processor in them and do not
have the keyboard, though Nokia added it in the new version that's
coming out soon.

I think it depends on what you are planning to do. The nokia device is
better for viewing something since it has a touch pad and even the one
with a keyboard just uses a generic flat keyboard that slides out.
Pepper pads have larger screens, slightly more ergonomic keyboards and
a couple more media oriented addons. If you are looking for something
you want to keep in your pocket you probably won't be interested in
the pepper pad as they are quite sizey.

My impression is that the nokia is more of a newton in that it's good
for *viewing* with, whereas the Pepper Pad would be more like an eMate
in that it's better if you plan on writing a large amount of text
down. Either way, I wouldn't mind owning both personally ;)

-JC