[NTLK] OT - Do you speak BBC English?

From: dotline7 <dotline7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 14:04:42 EDT

Talking about the ENGLISH language. English is not my mother tongue, I have
learned English at school, the language one can call the "BBC English".
Later, I strengthen my English at my work. Recently I stay in a very busy
"tourist town". We have tourist from all the world and everyone speaks
English. Any dialect of English: from East and West, South and North. Last
week we had a celebration, about 50 persons, all of them from a different
part of this Globe. At one of the tables 4 women were still speaking
English: one from Eastland, One from Switzerland, one from Sweden, Germany
etc... Everyone understood everyone. At some moment an other women came to
join this group and of course started to speak English. Unfortunately none
could understand her language. I pose a question: from which country she
was? ... The answer is from... England. It is a paradox of our time.
Distance between learned English and real British English is growing.

Still I don't understand why BBC uses the language "nobody" speaks (with
exception for some academics).

Paradox of our time.

John