Re: [NTLK] OT - Do you speak BBC English?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 15:11:23 EDT

On Sep 1, 2007, at 8:04 PM, dotline7 wrote:

> Talking about the ENGLISH language. English is not my mother
> tongue, I have
> learned English at school, the language one can call the "BBC
> English".

I have not heard the term "BBC English" before. I learned British
English at school in Germany, but then moved to California and had a
hard time finding a filling station close to my flat to get some
petrol for my lorry (but they did have many gas stations close to my
apartment so I was finally able to gas up my truck). I do have
problems understanding some of the British accents, but in the end,
it is all pretty similar.

German (and I assume that you are German, judging by your choice of
English words) is a much more diverse language, especially for a
country so small. Just try to get a meat loaf on a bread roll. Now is
that a Bulette, or a Fleischpflanzerl, or a Frikadelle, Klops,
Fleischklos, or a Frikko? And does it go with a Brötchen, a Semmeln,
a Weck, a Rundstück, or a Schrippe?

And this doesn't even include the Austrian and Swiss German version

   Matthias ;-)

PS: BTW, I am watching BBC as we speak, and I can't find anything
unusual about BBC English. Sounds pretty close to ITV English to me.
Heck, I even receive Al Jazeera via satellite, and I understand
pretty much everything they say. What an amazing language.

----
http://robowerk.com/