Re: [NTLK] Newton cases

From: Newton <mynewtonlives_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 10:49:46 EDT

For a review of the E & B Cases Newton Glove, see http://the-
gadgeteer.com/review/newton_glove_review.
The lack of access the the PCMCIA cards (at least the upper slot) and
the A/C adapter does seem to make this a little limited, especially
given the high price tag. The un-badged slip-case, with a flap
opening, carry rings on the rear (to attach a shoulder strap) and the
elasticated hand strap that I purchased from Frank Gründel a couple
of years ago is slightly heavy (the thin metal plate in the flap
cover serves to protect the Newton 2100 screen from all but the most
determined damage), but you have access to the PCMCIA slot at the top
(thereby allowing you to use wireless or ethernet cards in libraries
and cafés in Istanbul, or wherever you live) and you can reach the a/
c port, communication port and even the speed upgrade switch at the
top of the Newton when you need to without stripping off the case. My
workaday 2100 MP virtually lives in this case permanently, and with
the shoulder strap, couple of communication cards and a spare stylus
or two, is all I take out for the day. So, despite the weight, the
case is the best I've got (and I have some of the Newton-badged,
zippered personal organiser-type cases, which are very awkward to
hold actually, though they do have the advantage of being able to use
the keyboard more easily with the velcro-adjusted internal flap to
angle the Newton when the case is flat on a desk, and they look more
elegant if you take them into a meeting).
Adrian Marsh
adrianrmarsh@mac.com