[NTLK] Newton calling (NewtSMS+ etc.)

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt <Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 06:32:42 EDT

Dear all,

I want to announce success at turning my 2100s (and my eMate) into mobile phones. Calling and receiving calls with the usual setup (Nokia Card Phone 2.0, HDC-6D Headset, NewtSMS+ 1.10.prepaid SIM card) turns out to be easy.

http://concord.antville.org/static/concord/images/dsc09851a1.jpg

http://concord.antville.org/static/concord/images/dsc09850a.jpg

Sending or receiving SMSs is outright impossible for me. That SMSC number wouldn't be accepted, no matter how I prepared the SIM card via my other mobile (an older NOKIA 6310i). Maybe it's because my SIM card supports multiple "profiles" with different SMSC-numbers for each, and NewtSMS+ gets confused which is which. Also, using the Card Phone as a modem for mobile internet access hasn't been possible so far. My carrier (T-Online) doesn't seem to accept it. But hey, all I wanted is to use my newton as a phone. So here we go.

Like I said when I turned My 2100s into mp3 players:

http://concord.antville.org/static/concord/images/dsc09227a.jpg

It's good nostalgic fun, and if you can put up with some restraints and a little awkwardness, it's even useable.

As a nice extra, the Card Phone of course works in my antique Compaq laptop too.

Best,

Marcus

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/high.html
http://jpgmag.com/people/MH2