Re: [NTLK] xp & ncu

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 00:14:18 EDT

Starting with Win2k Microsoft changed how com ports are called at an OS
level. NCU was written with illegal calls to the OS for com ports, and
although they worked under windows 3.0 through Win98SE, they won't work
under Win2k and beyond. Some people have had some limited success using
SlowDown.exe running multiple copies with varied settings. But I found the
best way is to install the Microsoft virtual machine and install a VM
Win98SE. I have done this an it works great.

I am working on an XP compatible sync package called Ladle but it is a lot
of work as I have to right the Newton pkg also. I do have on my web site
NewtonDump which will dump the contents of your Newton to your XP machine
but unfortunately it only supports TCP/IP which the 120 does not.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

Eric A. Engle wrote:
<snip>
I have ncu on xp set to 9600 com1 and it won't sync to
my newt os 2 120. I've got a gender changer to get
rs232 to mindin9 but no dice; i doubt it's a null
modem cable and it can't be the speed since it's an
old xp machine and it's set to 9600 bps.

it doesn't even "see" the newt -- it never gets a
chance to drop the connection.

I'm doing it wrong. But how?
<snip>