Re: [NTLK] Help - InOut not responding

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 03:35:14 EDT

If you were to review this list over the years, you would see many
discussions related to the lifespan of Newton flash memory. In my
case ALL failures that I have experienced were when a reset or power
loss occurred while a large file was being saved or created. I think
that most of my problems have been whem working with relatively large
documents that pushed the limits of the system memory, Usually
NewtWorks documents exceeding 500 pages and or using NewtsCape and
Works at the same time to create large books.

The first time this was more than annoying because I didn't expect it
and didn't have a plan.

I now use the internal store only for information or packages that I
consider most important. This category includes Notes documents,
Names entries, Dates entries and essential applications or
extensions. For Notes, launch the application then tap the "i" button
and select "prefs" then select " Always store...internally".
Next tap the overview button and each individual note will show its
location, select the individual note or select all and tap the
'envelope' icon to file as you choose. Select Names and Dates prefs
in a similar fashion.

I store these items internally so that they are not spread across
cards and so that I can easily backup the internal store to a card,
but card backup requires that I connect to and backup to another
computer.

I the designate one slot as my safe slot, in my case since I use my
Newt primarily in portrait this is the lower slot. This is where I
keep other important applications and documents, this is usually
selected as where new information is stored, this choice does not
override my selections in Notes, Dates and Names. Thus all new
downloads will be saved here. I use the upper slot for my ethernet
card.

When I plan to save a Newton book as a Works document, text or HTML
(HTMList extension required), I use the upper store. this requires
moving via the routing envelope the book or works document to this
store and selecting temporarily this store as the place to store new
info.

In this way I manage my risk, and facilitate both card and NCU/NCX
backups.

I have never heard of problems with the internal store, but I would
not create a large Newton book there.

Enjoy your newton and think of the flash cards as external drives.

Woody