Re: [NTLK] iphone newton

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 05:43:40 EDT

On 04.08.2008, at 21:51, kyle feller wrote:

> i just downgraded my iphone from 2.0 to 1.1.4 so i could jailbreak it
> and i just wanted to know what the installer source for Einstein the
> newton emulator is

2.0 can be jail-broken just as easily, but there is not muc software
available yet (beyond what is in the Apple store). Amazingly, a *lot*
of software that was available under 1.x is now payware for 2.x, even
including accelerator sillyness and minimal "Hello World" apps for
only 99 cents... .

As mentioned before, getting Einstein onto the iPhone is tricky:
- Einstein would violate the iPhone store agreement in at least 3
points, so an Apple sanction port is out
- that leaves only jailbroken phones, with 2.0, only a fraction of
potential users
- it would be terribly slow
- there is no pen, so handwriting recognition would be clumsy if not
impossible
- NewtonOS is geared toward a 6" display. Running on iPhone 2.8" (or
whatever) screens would make it hard to hit any buttons (a button
would have less than a fifth of the original surface).

So, honestly, as much as I would like to have a working and fast
Einstein on a new handheld, I doubt that the iPhone is a good target
platform. Give it one inch more screen space and a pen, and we are in
business though.

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/