Re: [NTLK] How do you use your Newton?

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt <marcus.hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 09:56:21 EDT

Name: Marcus Hammerschmitt
Age: 40
Occupation: writer and journalist
Location: Germany
Newton collection: two 2100s, one eMate 300, loads of accessories
My Newton story:

Since I'd been using computers I'd been interested in portables. In
1989/90 I bought my first ultraportable (so to speak) - an Atari
Portfolio.

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/portfoli/

Moving on to larger and more feature rich devices in the nineties, the
Portfolio somewhat lost its significance to me. But around 2003,
having been given a Palm IIIc by my brother, my interest in that class
of devices got rekindled. For sheer portability the Palm IIIc +
Stowaway keyboard is unbeaten to the very day - I own a bag which
houses both devices, and the form factor feels like a small if
somewhat thickish paperback. Researching an article about keyboards
for PDAs I stumbled upon the Newton. I was hooked from minute one. The
more I read about it, the more I wanted one. Finally in fall 2004 I
could buy one on eBay, and I've been a user ever since. Later on, I
bought another 2001 plus an eMate 300 from Frank Gruendel, who's well
known on this list.

How I use my Newton today:

To sum it up in a word: text. I've written two novels for younger
readers on my Newtons.

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/low_herkules.html

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/low_skorpione.html

(By the way, RedJazz: The first one of these will be translated soon
into Slovenian and Russian). I've used the Newtons for countless other
texts, short stories, articles, experimental prose, poetry, you name
it. One of them I carry everywhere I go, along with my digicam, which
is the other indispensable gadget I have to have with me all the time.

Of course I also use Notes, Dates and Names, occasionally I've sent
and received e-mail, I take voice notes, and so on and so on.

My decision to migrate to OS X (from WinXP) was made considerably
easier by the existence of Simon Bell's NCX.

http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/connection/

On my 2100s I can listen to music. Thanks to Adriano Angelillis'
NewtCast

http://www.notwen.com/newtcast/

even wirelessly.

http://www.antville.org/static/concord/images/dsc09227a.jpg

And I use my Newtons for mobile telephony:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/02/rig-of-the-week-newton-as-telephone

It's fun to see both adults and kids react to my eMate when I sit on
park benches, writing. Some kids are so intrigued, I have to let them
scribble on the screen

http://www.antville.org/static/concord/images/n2.jpg

before I can get them off my back.

In a nutshell: the Newton has been a very satisfying experience from
the very beginning. One of the reasons for this is the existence of
NewtonTalk. A huge thank you to everybody in here who keeps the
platform alive and kicking!

Best,

Marcus

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/high.html