Re: [NTLK] Hello again and should I part with all my newtons?

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 07:21:08 EDT

Hello,

--- On Thu, 8/28/08, Lacombe, Kevin M CIV Code 105.2, Code 105.24 <kevin.lacombe@navy.mil> wrote:

>After moving and spending the last 3 years building a house and
>having babies and then no longer being able to bring my newt to
>work (Thanks 9/11!)

I'm curious: was there an actual *rationale* given for banning PDAs
where you work? Or was it merely a matter of a simple, silly, blanket ban being put on all "electronic devices?"

If you'll pardon my saying so, it sounds as though you're being subjected to "security theatre" rather than actual, genuine security. Genuine security requires careful thought and consideration to maintain, seeing as how it calls for the /exercising of judgment/ and the ability to distinguish between the harmful and the innocuous.

Security theatre, on the other hand, requires almost no thought at all: you just ban everything in sight.

Best,

James Fraser