Re: [NTLK] Deciding between wireless or ethernet card with dongle

From: Gregg Aydelotte <graydelotte_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat Dec 06 2008 - 20:05:08 EST

R A Parker wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 8:59 am Gregg wrote
>> Yes, it' s a WRT-54G. I've seen the
>> books on using these, and almost
>> ordered one. Maybe I will now.
>>

> You may not need to (order that book). Check out this firmware upgrade you can flash on to your particular router. Other routers too! The upgrade replaces the factory LinkSys firmware with an Open Source Linux base version that provides Power User features you just will not believe. I cannot rave enough about this upgrade.
>
> <http://www.dd-wrt.com>
>

>> I also like the idea of being able
>> to use one of my three macs to
>> broadcast a wireless signal which
>> the Newton could pick up,
>>

> Then you will want to download this PDF:
>
> <http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/HOWTO-WirelessAppleTalk.pdf>
>
> Ron

Ron,

I checked out the router website, but didn't really see how to get the
firmware.
Also, your guide is got me wanting to work on getting this setup on my
little "network". I'm watching a DWL G-122 ver, B1 on ebay, but there
are no drivers that come with it. I've looked on Raylink's site but
didn't see the drivers for the older ver. B. I found some for a 2500 though.
Would I be able to print from my Newton on the Appletalk setup (it's an
HP DJ 6940 with ethernet port). I have been able to use shared printers
with the G3 clamshell. My daughter thought that was neat, as she sat in
her bedroom on the clamshell and printed to the upstairs printer. Thanks
for the post, I've delayed the reply while I was looking at these things
so I could ask some relevant questions.
G.R. Aydelotte