Re: [NTLK] Emate 300 refuses to turn on.

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 18:28:40 EST

Unlikely but possible. The eMate may have gone into a deep sleep mode
due to low power. The first time I attempted to rebuild a 2100
battery pack it was a very snug fit. Therefore I would insert it then
take it out as I sanded away material to refine the fit. This
resulted in the Newt trying to restart frequently. After a half dozen
or so of these episodes it refused to start at all. I got scared that
I had ruined it and left it alone for the rest of the day. It
restarted.
In truth many things could be going on
1) Weak soldering on memory expansion board
2) poor connection between ROM or memory cards and their connector.
3) other corrosion on the logic board due to humidity or spill.

I would take out the battery pack and check the red and black leads
with some form of continuity tool, volt meter or 6v light bulb with
leads. twist, tap shake the pack and look for changes in your metering.
Without the pack installed leave the power adapter disconnected for a
few hours. or preferably look at Frank's procedure for starting a
reluctant Newt
<http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html>

Read and follow precisely.

once started leave power connected and see if problem persists.

A poor solder job is measurable with a meter, sum of parts should
equal whole. overheating can damage a cell.

Good luck
Woody