Re: [NTLK] Fix2010 code release

From: Gary Dunn <osp_at_aloha.com>
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 06:37:45 EST

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:26 +0100, Jon Glass wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Tony Kan <tonykan@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> > 1.. What licensing should he release the code under?
> > 2.. After we figure out the licensing what should I do with the code?
>
> the BSD license he mentioned would allow commercializing it, so it
> would be less "viral", and in some respects, to some of us, better.
> the GNU (1st or 2nd) would not allow re-closing derivatives, so would
> be "safer". I would recommend the GPL-2, as I think the second version
> is called. However, if he prefers BSD, that would be fine with me,
> too. ;-)
>
> As to where to put it.... hm. If it were GPL, I think source-forge
> could take it, but why not just put it on UNNA's sites?

I am a big fan of FreeBSD -- I am using it now on slate1, my new Fujitsu
T1010 tablet PC -- but not because of its license. For Free and
Open-Soures Software (FOSS) I prefer the GPL. Code released under the
GPL remains free forever, including derivative works. That's "free" as
in speech rather than beer, right?

I am also a fan of SourceForge -- the Open Slate Project is a registered
SourceForge project. I think it would be great to have Fix2010 on
SourceForge, but new applications must pass a review process and I will
not be surprised if Fix2010 is rejected due to it's falling outside of
the Linux orbit. But I would apply, anyway, and see what happens.

To create a project, visit http://sourceforge.net/ and create an
account, then click on "Create project" and fill out the application.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp@aloha.com