Re: [NTLK] Emate/2K power supplies

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 11:13:37 EST

> I did see someone selling a bunch of generic power supplies
> that are said to be compatible for about $8, but I am a bit
> leery about these.

This is a sound strategy. However, I'm sure there are adapters
out there that could be safely used.

If you can find such a vendor and can convince him of sending me
a free evaluation unit, I will gladly test it and publish the
results on pda-soft.de.

You can rule out 9 out of 10 cheap adapters yourself, though. Just get
yourself a multimeter and measure the voltage when nothing
is connected.

If it is more than 8 Volt: Put the adapter back and be happy that
your money is still safely tucked away in your purse.

If it is between 5 and 7 Volt, it will probably be suited to power the
Newton, but you would not be able to charge the battery properly.

If it is between 7 and 8 Volt, having an evaluation unit sent my way
would make sense.
There are some other specs Apple requires that can only be evaluated
with measuring gear that is a little more sophisticated than a simple
multimeter.

Frank