Re: [NTLK] Newton Torrents

From: Simon Stapleton <simon.stapleton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 11:43:14 EST

Hey again guys and gals.

Well, I have the dmg down on my machine, and am happily seeding away
to 9 other peers. It's dead a good resource, by the way. Full of
useful stuff. Many, many thanks to whoever put it together.

I'm happy to keep seeding to the best of my ability for as long as I
can, but I have noticed that a good few people have dropped off the
peer list as soon as they hit 100%. Please, guys, keep seeding for
as long as you can (if only to take some of the load off my DSL) -
other people's bandwidth gave you the file, please give a bit back so
others can get the file as well. 3 or 4 seeds on the swarm speeds
thing up for everyone, and gives the torrent a much better chance of
"recovering" if all the seeds drop out in the future. Most torrent
clients show a "ratio" of upload to download, and allow you to set
your seeding cutoff point by ratio. Setting this to a ratio of close
to 1 would seem fair :)

If you're running OSX, I can thoroughly recommend the "transmission"
torrent client, which allows you to auto-throttle torrents at
particular times of day - I'll be throttling my upload whilst my
clients are accessing my server here (UK business hours), for example

So, go on, seed for a while. It's good for your karma...

<mrs_doyle>
go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on
</mrs_doyle>

Simon