Re: [NTLK] Wi-Fi help needed

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 15:03:16 EST

On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Michael S. Zimmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I should have listed my question like this!
>
> 1. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out which
> 802.11b PC card to obtain and how to configure the beast so that I can
> at least send and receive email wirelessly? This way I can justify
> fooling around with the Newt at work!

You should probably start by researching the shortcomings of Newtons
mail and wireless setup and making sure those aren't deal breakers
for you.

For example:

1) Wifi is WEP only, and the wavelan gold is needed for 128 bit, or
Silver is needed for 64 bit WEP. If your companies WIFI is WPA your
are out of luck.
2) The Newton doesn't support SSL or any other encryption method for
concealing your mail password/contents.

Those are the two biggest issues that come to mind for me. If you
can deal with those, you might be ok.

Hope this helps,
marty

PS when buying a wireless card it's good if you can find the older
"Lucent" wavelan gold card, since there is a newer "Orinoco" gold
card that uses totally different chipset and doesn't work with the
Newton driver.