Re: [NTLK] Maintenance Q's re. MP130 and 2100

From: Marco Mailand <marco.mailand_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 16:40:38 EST

2008/2/7, Andrew Smallshaw <andrews@sdf.lonestar.org>:
> Voltage converters are readily available from many of the large
> electronics distributers. CPC come to mind:
> http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=PW00942
> but they are unnecessary: any regulated 500mA 9V power supply should
> be fine - there is nothing special about the original unit.
I would like to correct this: 500mA and 9V is NOT OK - in contrary:
You should never exceed let's say 8V. The nominal voltage of the 9W
adapter is 7.5V.
For the current rating it is nice to have a minimum of 1A in order to
get the accu pack charged at the maximum charging rate. For a
completely discharged 2700mAh accu pack (that's about the recent
available maximum capacity) it will take 2...3 hours for a full
charge. If your adaptor is capable of "only" 500mA the charging time
will double! This is basically not bad but if you e.g. notice in the
morning that your accu is quite empty you could sort of considerable
charge it during your morning coffee and leave the house with enough
juice to take notes during several hours of meetings or lessons. (God,
I wish I had have a Newton during my university studies...)

> Secondly, and I know this sounds like a cop out but my experience
> shows it to be the case, is that sometimes the pen just won't align
> accurately. I don't know if it's the temperature or some other
> variable but sometimes it just won't happen and you have to settle
> for "near enough to be usable". Try agin later and there isn't a
> problem.
This behaviour might be caused by the jaggies failure too. The upper
half of the Newton case might be bent inwards and thus pressing onto
the touch screen, just at the left border of the screen. This pressure
is increased while you're writing and rest with your hand on the case.
The digitizer might be distorted and may "see" different values of the
x-axis resistance and may store the wrong value. Try differently to
align the pen. If alignment fails try to align with lifting the hand
from upper case.

Cleaning the gap between the display and upper case helped some people
to get the digitizer back to normal operation but finally a complete
curing of jaggies might be necessary.

Marco