Re: [NTLK] Re-Celling Rechargeable Packs for MP2x00 & eMate 300

From: Marco Mailand <marco.mailand_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 02:32:49 EST

2008/2/8, Sonny Hung <sonnyhung@gmail.com>:
> I happened to look into while googling and discovered that there is at least
> one vendor that's selling AA NiMH Packs that are 4.8V with 2200 or 2600mAh
> capacity.
Sonny, you're right: Re-celling with standard cells off-the-shelf or
special ones with welded soldering tabs is easy and probably the
cheapest solution. There is two additional thoughts:
1. Get the highest available capacity. In my region I can get 2700mAh
easily for low prices and in catalogues (Conrad, ELV to name only two)
I've seen up to 3200mAh which are about 30% more expensive.
Development to higher energy content is sort of steady, thus waiting
is good. Same goes for AAA cells which reached meanwhile 1200mAh
(that's what was built-into the first MP2k AA-based accu packs!).
2. Cells with tabs are recommended if you want to solder them.
However, I did successfully solder on standard cells, but with good
preparation and excellent tools. You need to clean the contact
carefully and solder as fast as possible, say not shorter than 2
seconds heat to the solder joint and afterwards cool the contact with
water. There was no noticeable damage or capacity loss with those
cells.
3. For the MP2k I think modification of the battery tray is the best.
It's possible and technically easy to add the contact pads and the
thermistor and some wires. Done that you can use alkaline cells or
accu cells as you like and change'm w/o soldering.

Marco