Re: [NTLK] New in the works - I think I've found a great stand for the Newton MP2000/2100 - in Portrait Mode

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2008 - 13:57:44 EST

On 2/25/08, Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:

> You mean like my homemade stand?
> <http://homepage.mac.com/jonglass/NewtonStand/index.htm>
>
> Or do you mean purchasable? ;-)

Well I was hoping to save the suspense till after I've tested everything but
I'll let the 'cat out of the bag' as they say.

Semi Both.

The first is a purchasable one.
I'm sure someone on the list may have thought about it already.
I however have contacted www.thoughtout.biz and purchased a PED2 iPod Stand
at the advice of Michael there. We had a discussion after I saw it online
and thought that it would Be a great stand for the Newton.

I've purchased the PED2 and he generously offered to throw in a 4" extension
add on, extra spacers and even more kindly added a PED3 pedestal and a set
of non-production brackets.
I've already tested it partially and it seems that the PED2 with 4" add on
bar and a few spacer will work fine for our Newton but it is limited to a
Portrait orientation. Photo will be coming on my Flickr photo stream. There
is one tab that needs to be bent flat to accomodate the Newton but it will
work.I have my Newton on the standard bracket with ouit bending the tab and
it holds fine and I've tested the tapping to see if it will stand or tilt
over due to the pressure... but it's working fine for me. Others opinion may
differ. I am going to setup my docking sled onto the PED3 which would
possibly work fine after I get one this settled.

I'm not selling for them but thought other Newton Users would be interested
in my adventures :D
Anyway this is a very interesting setup - check it out over at
www.thoughtout.biz and look for PED2 - PED3 is interesting but I'm not sure
what modification whould be needed and didn't want to purchase a second
stand to test this out... The basic PED2 is like $53 +/- shipped to me...
but they gave me all the extras at no charge which one would have to
calculate into the cost. The only extras needed are the extra spaces (4) in
total and the 4" extension bar. for a basic setup and then remove the tab.

HTH this wets your appetites :D
It's a reasonable price I believe.

--
God bless,