Re: [NTLK] Happy Holidays*

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Sun Jan 06 2008 - 00:45:42 EST

On 26/12/2007, at 7:11 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:
> *HAPPY HOLIDAYS
> Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best
> wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-
> stress, non-addictive, and gender-neutral celebration of the winter
> solstice holiday as practiced within the traditions of the religious
> or secular practices or traditions of your choice or, if none,
> without regard to any religious or secular practices or traditions at
> all. I wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and
> medically healthy generally accepted calendar year 2008 with due
> respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose
> contributions to society have helped make the United States great.
> The foregoing does not imply in any way that the United States is
> greater than any other country, that the United States is the only
> America in the Western Hemisphere, or that the race, creed, color,
> age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual preference of
> cultures who have helped make other countries great is inferior. By
> accepting these greetings you are accepting the following terms.
> These greetings are subject to clarification and withdrawal at any
> time and imply no promise by the wisher to the wishee to implement
> any of the wishes herein. These greetings are freely transferable on
> the express condition that there be no alteration of the original
> greetings. These greetings are void where prohibited by law and are
> revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. These greetings have
> no guarantee or warranty of any kind. These greetings are valid for
> a period not to exceed one year or until the issuance of subsequent
> greetings or until clarification or withdrawal of these greetings
> pursuant to the terms of these greetings, whichever comes first. The
> sole remedy for any dissatisfaction of the wishee is, after service
> of written notice on the wisher by the wishee, clarification or
> withdrawal of these greetings or issuance of new greetings, at the
> sole discretion of the wisher.

Uhg, too politically correct... I can't stand it when people say
Happy Holidays. Why can't people just say Merry Christmas and be done
with it? I celebrate the Christian holidays, and my Muslim girlfriend
celebrates them with me, and I celebrate Ramadan and Eid with her.
When Eid comes up, I say Eid Mubarak, not "Happy Holidays". Political
correctness is a bane on society. [/rant] :-P

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard