[NTLK] RES: Psion & jornada curiosity

From: robinson <gaudo_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 10:41:03 EST

Hello.
I have a Jornada 568, had a few Jornada 720 and 728, a Psion Series 5, have
a Pencentra 200, a WebDT375, one Treo 650 and a iPaqHW6945.
And I have a MP2100. So, I use Newton to write. Before install and make the
Backtalk works, Newton had the problem of transferring files to PC. Just
because the files from Notes or Works always get corrupt. I tried to work
with a Performa, but it was a pain: send from Newton to Performa and send
thru Performa to PC (and vice-versa).
With Backtalk I can transfer to PC using my Treo or mi iPaq. It is not
perfect, but works fine.
Considering that, for my very own use, Newton is better to write my texts (I
am journalist and writer) and take some notes. But I can´t send drawing
notes thru Backtalk. It is bad. The Pencentra and WebDT375 has USB and this
job works very well. But HWR in Pencentra and WebDT (JOT, Calligrapher,
SmartWrite) is not an experience so good as on Newton.
Psion causes me a kind of trauma. Every time I opened the shell, I freeze!
Just because the display flat can break (one broke with me and I had to thru
the Psion on the garbage). I love the Psion keyboard, but just it. Epoc is
not so good as PPC, windows CE or Newton OS.
For me, Newton OS is the most charming and useful system. We are tired to
say that, just because it is.
With the Newton HWR you can do everything just like the most organic way.
You have to erase a word? Just scratch the stylus on it. Fine. On windows CE
InkWriter (on Jornada, Pencentra or WebDT) you have to change the pointer
status, select the text, clic on EDIT, clic on CLEAR, change the pointer
status again. Bad. On iPaq is better than windows CE, but is not so good as
Newton.
If we have a app to make the PC read the Newton soup on cards, I think I can
take away all my other devices. But it not exists.

That is my opinion.

Robinson
Newton MP2100 - WebDT375 - Pencentra 200 - Jornada 568 - Treo 650 -
iPaqHW6945
Brazil