Re: [NTLK] No New Newt

From: Norman Palardy <npalardy_at_great-white-software.com>
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 09:55:51 EST

On 17-Jan-08, at 4:43 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> Norman,
>
> For better or worse, it seems to me your response to the Air makes
> the most
> sense out of what otherwise is a mystifying set of missing technology
> options and the resultant missed opportunity to release a killer
> laptop.

This is not my thinking. Someone else wrote it. I just happen to
think in many respects this seems to make more sense than any other
reasons / rationale's I could think of for a machine like the Air.

> I have to take issue with one thing you said. "Computer users
> don't open
> the case. It's more the way people relate to phones or a disposable
> lighters. It works or it doesn't. When it stops working, you
> throw it away
> and get another one." Errrr, no thanks. For the price of an Air,
> I want
> "tweaking rights".

I'd tend to agree :)
Right now the Air is a damn expensive Bic lighter.
When laptops get to be 1.99 maybe I'd just toss it and get another.

> Part of the genius of my Pismo is how easy it is to get
> inside and fix stuff when needed.

Agreed. My old Pismo was way easier to get into that my MacBook's
(pro or otherwise)

> But on the positive side when considered from its potential for
> changing how
> we work, the Air starts looking almost StarTrekkian.

That seems to be more of what the Air is intended to do.
Not so much for what it IS; but for the "future" it presents to us.