Re: [NTLK] vCard Puzzle

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 15:30:41 EST

On Jan 20, 2008 8:34 PM, Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org> wrote:
> If memory
> serves Vcard wasn't part of the Newton's original software (was it
> invented yet?).

Interesting line of thought. This is what the Wikipedia has to say on
this subject:
"The vCard or Versitcard was originally proposed in 1995 by the Versit
consortium, which consisted of Apple Computer, AT&T (later Lucent),
IBM and Siemens. In December 1996 ownership of the format was handed
over to the Internet Mail Consortium, a trade association for
companies with an interest in Internet e-mail."

So, at least towards the end of the Newton project, it was at least
somewhat in existence. :-) But most definitely _after_ the creation of
NCU, and all the other Newton utilities. Always makes you wonder what
might have been...

BTW, I tried to import my Names file as a vcard via NCX, and it
bombed, though the lit. for NCX seems to indicate that it should be
possible... Anybody succeeded yet in getting a large vCard file into
their Newton? vCards plural? I've dumped my now _very_ outdated Newton
names file (dating to 199x or earliest 2K years), and now have an
empty Newton... :-(

And NewtSync is _definitely_ not working. It pretends to start, but
the Newton client disconnects, and then I have to forcequite NSync on
my Mac.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland